We are proud to be an Indigenous-owned hotel, generating revenues to contribute to the well-being and sustainability of our people and communities.
Royal Inn + Suites recognizes and respects its social responsibility ensuring that our quest for sustainability grows and evolves.
We operate our Makik Sustainability Initiative whereby we strive to reduce our environmental impact and promote sustainability, while also encouraging education and personal health and wellness. Makik is the Inuttitut word meaning “to rise, to stand up” – We rise to the challenge to protect our environment + stand up as a leader for the well-being of our people.
We pledge to:
- Reduce waste and increase recycling.
- Conserve water and energy consumption.
- Choose nature-friendly products.
- Promote the use of local products, ingredients and services.
- Comply with relevant environmental legislation and take a proactive approach to future requirements and obligations.
- Inform guests about our policy and how they can participate.
- Engage and educate our employees in environmental and sustainability issues.
- Engage service providers to increase usage of environmentally-friendly products and supplies.
- Monitor and review our environmental performance on an ongoing basis with a focus on continuous improvement.
We seek to conserve natural resources through the responsible use of energy, water and materials, while also maintaining the quality of service expected by our guests. The policy is reviewed annually by a committee led by our Energy and Innovation Specialist.
Some of the items completed recently include:
- Upgrade of over 430 LED bulbs throughout all guest rooms and common areas.
- Partnership with local suppliers to reduce packaging and select more environmentally-friendly products for a variety of operational items including breakfast supplies and cleaning supplies.
- Cans, bottles and all beverage containers are collected and taken to our local recycling depot.
- Monthly Team Makik meetings are held and the team comprises of employees from a variety of operations across the hotel.
- All organic food waste is collected and added to onsite composting facility. The nutrient rich soil will be used to support the growth of our vegetable and herb garden which our staff will plant this summer.
- Implemented a Towel reuse program to support guest wishing to reduce the environmental impact of their stay by re-using their towels.
- Conducted an Energy Assessment to determine priority upgrades for energy efficiency.
- Held staff wellness workshops to support the overall health and well-being of our employees.
For more information about Royal Inn + Suite’s Sustainability Policy and Program, please contact: Moe Neji – Guest Services Supervisor.